Thursday, March 09, 2006

March 4th, 2006

It was overcast once again. We met up for a quick breakfast downstairs and then packed up our room. We arrived at the train station with plenty of time to spare. As we were waiting we both noticed a cute Portuguese girl standing and smoking by herself. Jonathan made some comment about double checking what track our train was leaving from. He walked over in her direction, glancing back over his shoulder and giving me a sly smile. The advantages of speaking Portuguese, I suppose.

The train ride was pleasant but uneventful. We passed through some nice towns but, for the most part, it was green hills. Jonathan exited at Coimbra as planned and I stayed on for 2 more hours.

I boarded a bus to Central Lisbon, and right as I stepped off it began to pour. The timing was especially great because I had no clue where my hostel was at this point. I took cover under a canopy at a nearby cafe. I suddenly heard what sounded like someone `shhshing´ me (telling me to be quiet). I turned around and saw this little arab looking at me. Confused, I just kind of stared at him, since I had been making no noise at all. I then realized that he was actually saying `sheesh´or `hashish´, and this was confirmed when he showed it to me in his hand. I told him no and quickly stepped out in to the square. I noticed he was following me, so I grabbed hold of my camera bag and checked to make sure my knife was still on my belt. He popped up beside me, again offering me hash. I refused once again, saying, "I don´t smoke." He then proceeded to offer me cocaine. "No," I replied. "I only drink" I told him as I illustrated the motion with my hand. He smiled a strange smile at me and headed off for good, or so I thought at the time. I found out later that it is legal to posess and use any drug, but it is still illegal to sell it. Makes no sense, but what can you do.

I found my hostel, and it was nice for €15, although not as nice as Porto since there was no breakfast or heating. I went next door to the local store and picked up some cheese, bread, and salami for dinner. On the way back, I was once again offered hash, this time by a different arab. I went up to my room and ate dinner, opened my bottle of port, and read some Brothers K by the window. (Yes, I know it was part of the program, and no, I did not read it then.)
Won´t you join me? I´ll even read it aloud. lol.

2 Comments:

At 3/13/2006 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome photo, Koobs! Keep sending 'em..............

 
At 3/13/2006 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome photo, Koobs! Keep sending 'em..............

 

Post a Comment

<< Home